by Guest Blogger, Hal Lifson
Shannon Rowbury is a two time Olympian and 1500-meter Bronze Medalist, so if anyone knows how to motivate a mom to run, it’s Shannon. Here are Shannon’s tips to help you begin a running program.
- Pace yourself. Don’t worry about doing lots of miles.
- Running on a track is great because you don’t have to worry about cars, but a lovely park is good, too.
- Stretch before and after you run to avoid injury.
- If you wear an iPod, don’t run in the street. Use the time running to think about things going on in your life and work. It’s such productive “me time.”
- Walk if you need to.
- Run first thing in the morning! For busy moms, you get it out of the way.
- Drink lots of water.
- Never give yourself an out for more than a day or two. Keeping a running journal motivates you to “earn your journal entry” for the day.
Shannon trains with her boyfriend Pablo Solares and runs all over the world. She loves seeing new cities while “on the run” so if you’re taking a vacation this summer, follow Shannon’s example. She and Pablo also have the Imagining More Foundation for furthering young women in athletics and the arts.
This week Shannon races at the U.S. Track and Field Championships in Des Moines, Iowa. Her goal? Make the team heading for Moscow in August for the World!